Could life get any better? Last week, we woke up on top of the world. Literally! We we’re the luckiest girls, because we had the chance to stay two nights in our private Rooftop Suite (!) at Petitenget’s newest boutique hotel Katamama. Located on Petitenget beach at the Potato Head venue. We had a taste of the goodlife, and we LOVED it!
Home sweet home
The hotel has 58 private suites and each one is incredible. We stayed at Rooftop Suite no 503. With an in room maxi bar , spacious living area, spa-like looking bathroom, walk in closet (*no comment*), balcony with pool- and ocean view AND private entrance to our rooftop terrace. Where we entered a tropical oase, with a big dinner table, kitchen area, jacuzzi (!), outdoor shower and an incredible view on Potato Head Beach Club and the Indian Ocean. Just pinched ourselves again here for a moment. After already a day (out of 3) we felt so at ease and at home. When we went out we even said to each other, “What time will you be home?”
Outside there’s a pool area in a tropical garden with a STUNNING poolbar. Sitting here sipping a coconut is a piece of art at it’s own. When laying by the pool, you’ll be well-taken care off with sunscreen, oil (guess we looked like we could use some!) and fresh refills of water. Before you can ask anything they took care of it already. That seems to be a special talent of the hotel in everything. The gym is incredible. Actually the best hotel gym we’ve ever seen.
Details details details
Katamama is a luxury hotel made by artisans. Using local sourced products and art by contemporary Indonesian artists – the hotel is led by Balinese culture and craftsmanship. While sourcing all these local products, they decided it was such a beautiful collection that it is now showcased at boutique gallery Canaan next door. We can’t even start about the indigo robes and straw beach bags. Thank goodness for Canaan! We learned about the amazing fact, that the hotel is made by 1.5 million (!) Balinese bricks, usually only used for Balinese temples. Each brick made by hand. Which actually led to the restore of one of the oldest, almost extinguished Balinese craftsmanship.
MoVida and Akademi Bar
The best thing about this place is that you don’t need to leave the hotel, because everything is there. At restaurant MoVida (we’re SO obsessing over the interior) you can eat and sip all day – the food is Spanish tapas inspired and incredibly tasty. Perfect place for a brekkie or lunch meeting as well. Fast wifi and incredible service. Love.
At Akademi they make the best cocktails we’ve ever had. And we’re not big drinkers, but it was so tasty we did got pretty tipsy! We did a mixology masterclass here before with Dre Masso legend himself (read an interview with him here). All cocktails are made with local ingredients and inspired by the Indonesian archipelago. They even invite people to create their own signature m/cocktail so whenever they pop in they make it! No place like this.
On the same venue our favorite shops and cafes are located:
- Escalier Store: curated upscale beach and streetstyle brands. Swimwear, clothing, sunglasses, jewelry, clothing. We got ourselves a Commes des Garcon wallet, Enki sunnies and a Stussy Outfit. Couldn’t help it!
- Alchemy: favorite raw vegan cafe & juice bar. We discovered our newest obsession, the cacao pow.
- One Fifteen Coffee: best hidden coffee gem in town
- Canaan: artisan, handmade, creative products from bags to clothing to ceramic (which we bought for at home!)
- Potato Head Beach Club: best sunsets, while sipping away in the infinity pool. We love going here for lunch (must have the mushroom pizza!)
Saying this all, we can summarize our stay at Katamama as truly special. Writing this and editing the pictures we actually feel slightly homesick. We felt so welcome, warm and at home at this amazing place. It took away any worries and spoiled us to the fullest. Thanks to a beautiful team of people, and truly feeling the love, dedication and passion that went into creating each stunning detail of this hotel. Katamama travels way beyond a pretty place, it’s the experience of true passion that makes this island home one of a kind in the world.
What we like
- EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL.
- The location is perfect: right on Petitenget beach, next to Potato Head Beach Club and right in the center of Seminyak’s goodlife.
- No reception desk. Checking in is super personal in the room. So innovative!
- Welcome drinks are made live in your suite (in your own cocktail bar!), you can choose your favorite cocktail. We went for the Nojito (virgin Mojito). Thanks Jakob, you’re incredible!
- In the suite we found a beautifully designed Cultural Program. Filled with special events and activities exclusive for Katamama’s guests. We joined yoga with Vonny on our first morning. Loved it!
- The interior is a dream. Tropical meets contemporary design. Islandlife meets luxury.
- Endless refill of the complimentary cookies pot. They sure know how to make us happy!
- Private dining. We even got to order 2 bananas for 6am in the morning
- Nothing better than a well tropical designed pool area. Leave us here sunbathing all day!
- Every guest gets their own cultural concierge. A personal guide to the best of island life. Whether you’re looking for the best places to eat or want to join a traditional Balinese ceremony, they are your Bali insiders that will arrange anything for you. (Thanks Gina & Carina!)
- The team greeted us with ‘Welcome home’ every time we arrived back in the hotel. So thoughtful and warm!
- There is a present in the room! No spoiler alert, it’s too nice to tell. You’ll find out when you’re there : )
- Everything you see you can shop at Canaan, boutique gallery store just next door!
- And our favorite vegan cafe Alchemy is next door! (First only in Ubud, now also in Seminyak yay!)
- The roomservice was the best we’ve ever experienced in our lives. Even before bed time the team came in, made our beds, placed our hotel sandals besides the bed, cleaned our room, washed our dishes. We we’re THIS close to having them tucking us into bed.
- Fastest. Wi-Fi. Ever. And private for our room only. If you’re on a working holiday or business trip: this is heaven.
- We received a personal goodbye present when we checked-out. It was so so so sweet, genuine and special. Again we don’t want to spoil too much, because these little surprises made our stay incredibly special and memorable – so we’re not telling you what it was so you’ll feel that same way we did at that moment : )
Hope you loved our Welike Sleeps special. Enjoy our little Katamama photo diary of our stay and let us know if you have any questions or experiences that you’d love to share in the comments below! -x-